Although I survived my first daughter without one, I think a baby formula dispenser is a very good investment. Especially if you choose to bottle feed. You will love it any time you will be away from home, needing your formula pre-measured and ready to go. It will be good also for the night feeds. It will make preparing the bottle easier and will avoid getting the counting wrong! Now that I have one I cannot live without it.
Out of the many available on the market I chose Brother Max Slimline Milk Powder Dispenser. At about GBP 6 it is not the cheapest, but it is well designed and durable.
What I like about it:
1) Designed to be emptied by turning on its side (not upside down) which helps avoid leaving powder behind (but does not solve the problem completely).
2) The spout is longer than most on the market, so it goes right into the bottle and thus avoids spilling.
3) The spout cover can be locked away so that it doesn’t get in the way.
4) Each dose remains in its own compartment. This is absolutely key!
5) Has 3 separate compartments for 3 feeds. This is quite standard on the market. What you want to check is the size of each compartment. In the case of Brother Max you can fit 7 scoops of formula comfortably (to prepare 210ml/7 fl pz of milk). Please note that fitting 8 scoops of formula will be difficult. Consider this if your baby is a big eater.
6) Comes with a dedicated funnel that helps filling without spills.
7) Compact. Only around 10 cm in diameter and 4.5cm deep.
8) Dishwasher proof and BpA-free, Phthalate-free, PVC-free.
1) The lid is difficult to clean because of the narrow grooves. I use a baby bottle brush and it comes out perfect. You have just to make sure it is completely dry before filling it.
2) Can only be ‘cold’ sterilised.
1) Turn the spout so that it isn’t in line with a hole when not in use otherwise the powder will go in to the spout and you risk losing some when you open it up to pour in to the bottle.