If you cook everyday for your children, there are times when you want a shortcut. Kallo Very Low Salt Organic Chicken Stock Cubes are the solution. They will fit perfectly your Annabel Karmel’s recipes and also any other dishes you will prepare for the rest of your family. They are not specifically aimed at babies (such as the Boots Baby Organic Chicken Stock Cubes) but they are as good and, in my view, preferable:
1) They are organic and contain no artificial colours, flavours and preservatives (same as Boots)
2) They have a very low content of salt: 0.1g per 100ml of stock (slightly higher than the Boots’ product that has a salt equivalent figure of 0.05 gr of Salt per 100 ml of stock. Boots shows only the content of Sodium of its cubes so to compare you need to convert it multiplying the Sodium figure by 2.5).
3) They dissolve well in water (better than the Boots ones)
4) They taste nice (better than the Boots ones)
5) They are cheaper than Boots (GBP 1.20 versus 1.55) and much easier to find. Only few Boots stores have the baby stock cubes in stock.
Each box contains six individually-wrapped cubes. Each cube makes 500ml of stock. You can use less than a cube and use the rest of it another time, just wrap it up properly.
Searching for salt content of foods (as one does!) I came across a site that is worth reading.
It says “Babies need only a very small amount of salt – less than 1g (0.4g sodium) a day up to 12 months. Their kidneys can’t cope with larger amounts of salt…Once your baby is eating solid foods (after six months), remember not to add salt to food you make for your baby or give to him or her. And be careful not to give him/her foods that aren’t made specifically for babies, such as breakfast cereals and pasta sauces, because these can be high in salt.”