Cream cheese is a very useful basic ingredient to have at home when you are cooking for babies and toddlers. You can use it to transform any little meal: instead of sauce on a quick pasta, added to your vegetables purees, on fish, on bread sticks. The applications are endless. After some searching I stumbled on this one that seems more appropriate for the younger members of the family.
What I like about the Sainsbury’s SO Organic Soft Cheese is:
1) Organic! So few are. Hopefully it means less nasties. I actually checked. I emailed Sainsbury’s and they said that there are only 4 ingredients in this cream cheese: milk, cream from cow milk, salt and lactic starter culture. Sounds good to me.
2) Full fat – 25g per 100gr of product, as it should be for babies and toddlers.
3) Acceptable level of sodium 0.22g per 100gr (versus Philadelphia Original 0.40gr per 100gr)
4) Acceptable level of sugars 2.8gr per 100 gr (Philadelphia Original has 3.2gr per 100gr)
5) Great value £1.65/250 gr unit or £6.60/kg (Philadelphia Original retails at £8.00/kg).
The other good news is that it is easy to find. Your local Sainsbury’s should stock it. In my family everybody loves it.
P.S. There is another nice (and much more expensive) organic cream cheese called Futura. But is always out of stock these days.